Inclusive Growth in Cheshire and Warrington
Building upon the success of Cheshire and Warrington’s collaborative journey, the 2017 conference sought to ensure that everyone benefits from our local economy.
Identifying a conference theme is a collaborative activity. To build upon Cheshire and Warrington’s strengths and focus on strategic areas partners sought to tackle together, the theme of Inclusive Growth offered an ideal platform to capitalise of the refresh of the Sub-regional Strategic Economic Plan (SEP).
Hosted by ITV’s Lucy Meacock, the conference, which took place at Chester Racecourse on Friday 7 July 2017, was opened by Cheshire West and Chester Council Leader, Councillor Samantha Dixon. In addition to five insightful Keynote Speakers, a wealth of Sub-regional expertise was shared through eight expertly facilitated Breakout Sessions.
For further information on speakers and facilitators the conference Who’s Who? (PDF, 1MB) is a useful guide.
- Developing a New Prospectus for Cheshire and Warrington: Gerald Meehan, Chief Executive, Cheshire West and Chester Council (PDF, 1.6MB)
- The Sub-regional Strategic Economic Plan Overview (PDF, 1MB): Christine Gaskell, Chair, Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership; and SEP Data with Alex Gardiner (PDF, 3MB), Associate Director, Metro Dynamics.
- Inclusive Growth – making our economy work for everyone: Ben Lucas, Advisor (PDF, 2.6MB) to the Inclusive Growth Commission
- Post-Election Landscape and Implications for Cheshire and Warrington: Adam Lent, Director, New Local Government Network
- Public Service Reform: Mark Palethorpe, Executive Director, Cheshire East Council
- Industrial Strategy: Philip Cox, Chief Executive, Local Enterprise Partnership
- Mersey-Dee Alliance: Charlie Seward, Deputy Chief Executive – Place, Cheshire West and Chester Council (PDF, 3MB)
- Constellation Partnership: Frank Jordan, Director of Place, Cheshire East Council
- Warrington New City: Andy Farrall, Warrington Borough Council
- Learning and Skills: Jonathan Cobley, Managing Director, Skills and Growth company, Cheshire East Council
- Transport: David Boyer, Assistant Director, Warrington Borough Council
- Housing: Alison Amesbury, Senior Manager Strategic Housing, Cheshire West and Chester Council
Overall, the conference generated enthusiastic feedback. Delegates from various professional backgrounds were took a helicopter view of the whole system, to think about how the various parts fit together and to share ideas with one another.
A great place to be inspired, foster collaboration and understand the bigger picture. Fantastic for partners to understand the new prospectus and contribute ideas.
The speakers were all outstanding, really interesting and thought provoking – one of the best conferences I can remember!
The success of an event, like this, rests with the good will and ambition of partners to use the opportunity to its best effect. The commitment to work collaboratively and inclusively were undoubtedly key features of the morning.